Wednesday 29 August 2012

DLC To buy or not to buy

I was read a story a while back on VG247 during my lunch when I was working and was surprised that for once a developer came out publicly saying that...

“We’ve always believed in free DLCs. The thing is that we consider DLCs as a normal post sale service, which shouldn’t be priced." 

Which sort of split my mind up about the whole DLC element in gaming. One part of me is "right on" as there should be something to make me keep the game longer which also stops me selling it on 2nd hand when I'm done, saving them money. But the other side of me is...well the more realistic one with that I think somekind of charge is required as it isn't free to make it requiring time from programmers etc and the idea of people expecting something free all the time in gaming is crazy and non-sustainable.

Yes there are free games in the market to play but not all games can work around on that sort of business technique of selling extras in a game or adverts on the top bar like some phone games.

But it really did shock me when I read that statement from CD Projekt RED who are really good and are making big budget games, as it's normally far smaller developers who feel that way about dlc rather than the bigger ones.


It makes a nice change when at least one of the companies involved in making games has the same view from  pretty much everyone else outside of gaming.


Source.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/09/cd-projekt-red-dlc-is-a-service-that-shouldnt-be-priced/

No comments:

Post a Comment